UCLA Travel Arrangements

UCLA Travel

Phone: (310) 206-2639, (800) 235-UCLA (8252)
Email: travel@finance.ucla.edu 
Website: UCLA Travel Services

ORA Contact

Aiza Almario (310) 206-3368
Allynn Lewis (424) 259-5039

Online booking is available through the Concur portal using your UCLA Log-On ID (Single sign-on). Please contact Allynn Lewis for instructions to update your profile in the portal. Please allow at least 2 weeks advance notice prior to your travel date to process airfare booking.

Concur is a secure, web portal with access to UC’s Systemwide Travel Program comprehensive rates and benefits for all those affiliated with UC. It is important to note, we can only do direct billing for airfare; however, Concur can also be used to book all your other travel needs (lodging, car rentals, rail).

For additional information, please refer to the following link:

VC Research Travel and Working Meeting Guidelines

It is the policy of the University that all business travel shall be properly authorized, reported, and reimbursed in accordance with UC policy. Under no circumstances shall personal expenses be charged to, or be temporarily funded by, the University, including UCLA Corporate Card.

For additional information, please refer to the following links:

Direct Payment

The following can be paid directly by UCLA to minimize employee out of pocket expenses:

  • Airfare
  • Conference Registration (3 weeks advance notice)

Contact Allynn Lewis with any request and questions.

Travel & Entertainment (T&E) Card

With the approval of the individual’s director, ORA staff that travel on University business or for professional development at least four (4) times a year are eligible for UCLA’s T&E card.

The Travel & Entertainment (T&E) card is intended to cover most business travel related expenses, including lodging, food and transportation.

  • Cardholder is personally responsible to pay balance due on time.
  • T & E Card can only be used for travel and entertainment expenses that are related to University business and reimbursable under University policies. No personal expenses are allowed.
  • Travel-related expenses, such as hotel deposits and conference registration, can be reimbursed in advance if they are purchased using the T&E card.
  • Please submit approved requests to the business office within five (5) days after returning from travel or event.
  • Late fees are not reimbursable, per University policy.
  • Please visit the Travel & Entertainment Card, UC Policy and T&E Coverage & Use websites for additional information.
  • Please see the T&E Cardholder Agreement with US Bank.

Please contact Aiza Almario with questions and completed application.

Travel Reimbursements

  • Travel of Less than 24 Hours – When the entire length of a trip is less than 24 hours, meals and incidental expenses cannot be reimbursed unless the travel includes an "overnight stay” as supported by a lodging receipt.
  • Per University Policy, Travel reimbursement must be completed by UCLA's Travel Accounting within 45 days from completion of trip or it will be treated as imputed income and taxable.

In order to claim reimbursement for your travel expenses, you must complete the Travel and Other Reimbursement Request (Form, Instructions) and submit the completed form along with the original itemized receipts to Allynn Lewis within 5 business days of the end of a trip.

  • It typically takes 5 to 12 working days for UCLA Travel Accounting to process the reimbursement check and electronic deposit to the traveler’s bank.

Please refer to the following policy if there are any additional questions:

Reimbursable Expenses


  • Direct billing of airline ticket is strongly recommended. Refer to Travel Arrangements for details.
  • For reimbursement of airfare, the original receipt for the ticket is required. If traveling with an e-ticket, the email receipt/confirmation with proof of payment will suffice. All flight receipts/documentation must include the form of payment (e.g., if the airfare was paid with a credit card, it may include VISAxxxxxxxx1234).
  • Travel packages that are not itemized will not be reimbursed (i.e. Expedia, Orbits, Travelocity) as they do not provide itemized receipts/folio as required by IRS regulations.

Rental Car

Please use UCLA's preferred car rental company (currently Hertz, National, and Enterprise) according to University policy. Please refer to the University’s Rental Car Agreements for additional information.

  • Do not take the additional collision damage waiver (CDW), as the UCLA negotiated rate includes this coverage.
  • Any additional insurance purchased is not reimbursable and will be at the cost of the traveler.


LAX offers parking discounts for UCLA employees through The Parking Spot, UCLA’s preferred partner. You will save 25% off the regular rates by showing your UCLA University ID.


Effective January 1, 2024 (but only for expenses submitted in Concur after April 19, 2024), the following limit will be in effect for all Continental US travel:
$333/night (not including taxes and mandatory hotel fees)

  • If the traveler is unable to secure lodging at $333 per night or less, the traveler must submit additional documentation such as price comparisons within reasonable proximity of the meeting location. The price comparisons should be performed at the time of booking.
  • A traveler who is required to attend a conference where the prearranged conference lodging rate exceeds the $333 per night cap may stay at the conference hotel without exceptional approval.

Original, itemized receipts for all lodging expenses as well as any working meeting expenditures included in the lodging claim are required for reimbursement.

Lodging is generally not reimbursable if the lodging site is within a 40-mile radius of the traveler's residence.

Exemption from Occupancy Tax in the state of California

As a general rule, University employees traveling on official University business are exempt from payment of occupancy taxes imposed by certain California cities or counties on "transient" (or individual travelers') rental rooms. To avoid misunderstandings, travelers should identify themselves as University employees and claim exemption from the tax when checking into the hotel. However, occupancy tax ordinances in a few California cities do not authorize exemptions for University employees. The traveler may complete an exemption certificate if one is required. The form Transient Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate for Governmental Agencies is available to be used as appropriate.

Conference Registration

Receipts must have name of the individual, name of the conference, amount paid, and method of payment. If not, please submit credit card statement showing all of the items.


Best practices require original receipts for all expenses because reimbursements are based on actual expenses. Please note maximum meal rate is not a per diem.

The meal and incidental expense maximum is $79/day and there is no exception to the maximum. If meal receipts are lost or unavailable, the traveler may provide their best estimate of the actual meal expense.

When the entire length of a trip is less than 24 hours, (meals for single-day travel will not be reimbursed unless the travel includes an overnight stay that is verified by a lodging receipt.

Expenses for meals incurred by employees who hold working business meetings while traveling on University business are reimbursable in accordance with the University's policy on Expenditures for Business Meetings, Entertainment, and Other Occasions BUS-79. Working business meetings held while traveling require the same documentation as other business meeting expense.


Breakfast $31.00
Lunch $54.00
Dinner $94.00
Light refreshments ​ $22.00

Ground transportation

Travelers are required to use the most economical mode (i.e. taxi, shuttle, train, bus) of transportation by the most frequently traveled route. If unsure, please contact Allynn Lewis.


The current mileage reimbursement rate effective is 67 cents per mile for use of a personal car on business travel and will be adjusted periodically to reflect increases/decreases in the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) standard mileage rate.

Please note the following:

  • Privately owned automobiles may be used if the driver has requisite insurance coverage, Additional Travel Insurance Coverage
  • UCLA ORA reimburses the lesser of round-trip airfare or mileage. The amount of the actual mileage or the lowest available airfare, whichever is less, is allowed. No additional reimbursement for automobile-related expenses, such as tolls, ferries, parking, gasoline, etc. will be allowed.
  • Mileage claimed to dining venues or restaurants must be within reasonable distance from place of conference or hotel.
  • Mileage to local meetings/conferences should be computed between the traveler’s work location and final destination. Mileage may be allowed between the traveler’s residence and destination if the business travel originates or terminates during a regularly scheduled day off.

For addition information, please refer to the “Travel Policy” link under Useful Travel Links.


All other related business expenses, such as baggage fees, internet fees and phone, are reimbursable with receipts. Business justification(s) may be required for certain requests.

Working Meetings

How to Claim Reimbursement

Please submit all documents including the completed ORA Working Business Meeting Expense Form and the itemized receipts to Allynn Lewis within 5 business days after the event. All working business meeting expenses must be pre-approved by the director of the individual claiming a reimbursement.

Required Information

  • Type of Expense (breakfast, lunch, dinner, refreshment)
  • Type of Event (workshop, conference, staff recognition, etc.)
  • Purpose of the event or main agenda topic
  • Attendee list to include name, title, and affiliation of participants
  • Date and location of event
  • Name of the official host

Maximum per Person Rates

Breakfast $31.00
Lunch $54.00
Dinner $94.00
Light refreshments ​ $22.00

Meeting Facilities on Campus

Business or professional events (room rental, catering, etc.) may be arranged using a pre-approved departmental account number. Please submit a completed ORA Working Business Meeting Expense Form and contact Lupe Romero before finalizing any arrangements.

Non-Reimbursable Expenses

As outlined by UC Policy G-28, the following list includes a brief summary of non-reimbursable expenses (This list is not all inclusive):

  • Airfare issued by non-U.S. carrier
  • Any upgrades above coach airfare
  • Personal telephone calls
  • Third party expenses (e.g., buying ticket and paying hotel/airfare and other expense on behalf of others)
  • Out-of-route costs (e.g., a connecting flight/deviation from direct route for a personal business) – reimbursable expenses shall not exceed the cost of hotels, meals, and other expenses that would have been incurred on a direct route to the UCLA business destination.
  • Internet package deals – refer to the airfare section for details.
  • T&E Card Late Fees are not reimbursable
  • Others – any other costs determined to be unreasonable or which are disallowed by University guidelines.

Travel Insurance

All University travelers are covered worldwide, 24 hours a day, for a variety of accidents and incidents while on business travel status. The coverage includes:

  • Accidental death and dismemberment.
  • Travel assistance services when the traveler is 100+ miles from his or her home or headquarters, such as emergency medical evacuation, out-of-country medical expenses, loss of personal effects, security extraction and repatriation of remains.

Booking travel through Connexxus automatically enrolls the traveler in the insurance program for travel outside of California; otherwise the traveler must register their trip on the UC Away website before an out-of-state trip occurs. Registration is not required for travel within California as coverage is automatic.

Other Reimbursements

Use of the University's purchasing system is the first choice for direct payment. Use of employee’s personal funds for purchase of goods and services is strongly discouraged. Per LVO Policy 741, $1,000 is the reimbursement limit for purchases, other than travel, working meetings, & conference registrations.

Foreign Travel

All documentation (i.e. itinerary , receipts, agenda)  related to the trip will be needed to process the reimbursement. Itemized receipts need to be submitted except for hotel and food. Per Diem rates for food and lodging are set according to the country and city of travel. Please complete the Expense Report Form and submit all related expenses to Allynn Lewis.