All UCLA Research Administration & RPC Staff,
I am writing to provide a summary of previously distributed information from campus that became available since my last message in March 2021. The goal is to capture the most important items in one place covering employee benefits and resources as well as reminders of notices that may require your action/attention. I encourage you to read all the items below to stay up to date on COVID-19 related topics and other information that may impact our work environment.
Benefits & Resources
- New 2021 allotment of Emergency Paid Sick Leave (EPSL). Full-time employees may take up to 80 hours of EPSL for qualifying reasons, which is available through September 30, 2021. Exposure and COVID-19 immunization are the additional new qualifying reasons. For a summary and FAQs, please refer to the COVID-19 Related Leaves for Policy-Covered and Represented Staff Employees guidance. The University will also grant hourly (non-exempt) employees up to four (4) hours of paid time to obtain each dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. Employees must provide advance notice to their departments. If an employee needs additional time for this purpose, the employee may request EPSL for the additional time or chose to use accrued time.
- UCLA’s COVID-19 Response and Recovery Task Force holds Virtual Town Halls for staff and faculty periodically with the most recent being April 14th introducing the concept of FlexWork. Previously recorded sessions are available and dates for future events are listed. This includes planning and discussions for a phased safe re-opening of the campus this fall.
Notices & Action Items
- The COVID-19 Prevention Training is an overview of the UCLA Safer Return to Work/COVID-19 Prevention Program. This is a Cal/OSHA mandated training which focuses on safety and public health mitigations in alignment with CCR 3205, as well as state and local public health Orders. Training assignments have been issued through the UC Learning Management System (LMS), so it should automatically appear in your “required trainings” list.
- The SARS-Cov-2 Vaccine Education Training is a separate module that is also required under the UC Systemwide Interim Policy: SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination Program. LMS assignments have not been issued, but please visit the link provided to complete the online module. You will receive a confirmation email upon completion.
Note: Both trainings above are required until further notice.
- UC Part of Nationwide Cyber Attack. Learn about what to watch for and how to protect yourself.
- Plan to Return to Campus in Fall. Chancellor Block and EVC/P Carter announced on April 2nd plans regarding instruction, housing and remote work in the fall. In the remote work section, they state, “Other employees who continue to successfully work remotely should expect to do so through at least the end of August and possibly later into the fall to reduce on-campus density.” “As a result, we do not anticipate returning on-site until after summer. In the meantime, a workgroup formed last year with representation from each ORA department and RPC has developed a draft Return to Building Plan that is currently under review by ORA/RPC leadership. We will share these materials with all staff once the draft and recommendations have been finalized.
- UC’s Proposed COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. Comments due no later than May 31, 2021
- Office of Business and Financial Services (OBFS) website contains an “Announcements” section that has prior months notices for your reference.
The main campus portal UCLA COVID-19 Resources and Bruins Safe Online contains guidance and updates for the Bruin community, the media and the broader public about UCLA’s ongoing response to the coronavirus pandemic. See “Information for Staff.”
Should you have any questions or need assistance with any of the items above, please contact me or Human Resource Manager, Grace Yi.
Senior Director, Office of Business & Financial Services
Senior Director, Office of Research Data Management