All UCLA Research Administration & RPC Staff,
I am writing to provide an update of new information that became available since my last message in January 2021 regarding employee benefits and resources as well as notices that may require your action/attention. I encourage you to read all the items below to stay up to date on COVID-19 related topics and other information that may impact our work environment.
Benefits & Resources
- Paid Administrative Leave for COVID-19 Vaccinations is available to assist employees who are receiving COVID-19 vaccinations. Departments should allow up to 2 hours of paid administrative leave for hourly employees if a vaccination appointment is scheduled during an employee’s normal work hours with advance approval from their supervisor to ensure operational needs are met. Hourly employees may take paid administrative leave whether they obtain the vaccine through UCLA Health or another provider (e.g., doctor’s office, state or county vaccination site, etc.). Accrued leave may be used for time off needed beyond the 2 hours paid administrative leave. The 2 hours paid administrative leave should be recorded in TRS by selecting “ADMIN” from the drop-down list and type in “COVID Vaccine” to the timesheet comment box. Employees may use UC Expanded Paid Administrative Leave (PAL), accrued sick leave, or LWOP if they experience symptoms or side effects as a result of receiving the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Leave Due to COVID-19 Exposure. Cal/OSHA has issued Title 8 CCR 3205 emergency temporary standard, which prevents the following employees from working on-site:
- An employee who has a positive COVID-19 test;
- An employee who has been exposed to COVID-19 in the workplace and is issued an order by a local or state health official to quarantine or isolate.
Pay During Leave Due to COVID-19 Exposure: When an employee is unable to work on-site for any of the above reasons, but is otherwise able and available to work, their pay and benefits must be maintained as if they were working. If it is operationally feasible, the employee can be required to work remotely during this period. If remote work is not an option, the employee may be required to use UC Expanded Paid Administrative Leave (PAL) if they have not used up that entitlement. If the employee has exhausted PAL, they should be placed on paid administrative leave; the employee should not be required to use sick leave accruals. The leave should be recorded in TRS by selecting “ADMIN” from the drop-down list and type in “COVID Exposure Leave” in the timesheet comment box.
Exception for Fully Vaccinated Employees: The CA Department of Public Health (CDPH) has adopted the CDC’s clinical guidance for fully vaccinated persons and as such, an individual who is in close contact with a COVID-19 infected person will not be required to quarantine if all three criteria listed below are met:
- The individual is fully vaccinated (i.e., ≥2 weeks following receipt of the second dose in a 2-dose series, or ≥2 weeks following receipt of one dose of a single-dose vaccine);
- The individual is within 3 months following receipt of the last dose in the series; and
- The individual has remained asymptomatic since the current COVID-19 exposure.
Note: each case will be assessed by the UCLA Exposure Management Team/Contact Tracers, and direction given to the individual accordingly.
- Use of Accrued Sick Leave for Child Care Due to COVID-19 Extended to June 30, 2021. UC President Drake extended the temporary change to the Absence from Work policy through June 30, 2021. Policy-covered employees may use all of their accrued sick leave if they are unable to work or telework due to a need to care for their children who are not attending school (or who cannot be at their places of care or with their child providers) because of COVID-19 precautions.
- UCLA’s COVID-19 Response and Recovery Task Force holds Virtual Town Halls for staff and faculty periodically with the most recent being March 18th. Previously recorded sessions are available and dates for future events are listed. This includes planning and discussions for a phased safe re-opening of the campus this spring and fall.
- UCLA’s COVID-19 Vaccine Information Hub contains updated information on vaccine distribution plans and FAQs. Vaccine distribution is expanded to include those working in the education and childcare sector, including employees at colleges and universities (that’s all of us!), starting March 1st. Students working for UCLA on-site are included in this group. In addition, individuals aged 16-64 with underlying medical conditions are eligible for vaccinations beginning March 15th.
Notices & Action Items
- COVID-19 Vaccine Education Training University of California policy requires this training for all faculty and staff. You may take this training hosted by UCLA Health before or after you receive the vaccine.
- Centralized Waste Program will start this week in the Wilshire Glendon Building. Desk-side trash bins and recycling bins will remain in offices/workstations. UCLA Facilities staff will no longer empty trash/recycle bins in offices/workstations. Each employee is responsible for maintaining their own desk-side bins and to transport trash using desk-side bins to a centralized waste bin at the end of each day. All the kitchens have the 3-bin receptacles (Compost / Recycle / Landfill). Other bins have also been strategically placed throughout each floor. Should you need trash liners replaced, please contact OBFSoperations@research.ucla.edu. To learn more about the program please see FAQs.
- Office of Business and Financial Services (OBFS) website contains an “Announcements” section that has prior months notices for your reference.
The main campus portal UCLA COVID-19 Resources and Bruins Safe Online contains guidance and updates for the Bruin community, the media and the broader public about UCLA’s ongoing response to the coronavirus pandemic. See “Information for Staff.”
Should you have any questions or need assistance with any of the items above, please contact me or Human Resource Manager, Grace Yi.
Senior Director, Office of Business & Financial Services
Senior Director, Office of Research Data Management