All UCLA Research Administration & RPC Staff,
I am writing to provide a consolidated summary of important information regarding employee benefits and resources as well as notices that may require your action. Although you may have received some of this information separately over time, I encourage you to read all the items below to stay up to date. Similar consolidated summaries will be distributed on a monthly basis to keep pace with the rapidly changing environment and as new information becomes available in the future.
Employee Benefits & Resources
- Bruin Bubble resource is intended to help Bruin families with similar needs in their desired geographical connect to each other for shared childcare, learning or mutually beneficial socio-emotional experiences (both virtual and in person). Complete questionnaire by September 10th. See August 17, 2020 memo from Michael Beck.
- Chancellor Block “Our Commitment to One Another.” UCLA will have no pandemic-related indefinite or temporary layoffs for career employees through at least Jan. 15, 2021, Chancellor Block announced on August 14, 2020.
- Temporary Approval to Use Accrued Sick Leave for Child Care Reasons due to COVID19 : Effective July 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020.
- UC’s Health Flexible Spending Account (FSA). Read new rules and processes for FSA, including Dependent Care and Health Savings Account (HSA).
- Temporary Exception to Maximum Vacation Leave Accrual Limit: No action is required by employees who reach the maximum limit and the exception request process is waived. The process will be implemented by CHR centrally via UCPath. The limit will be lifted for 6 months starting June 1, 2020 and employees previously at the limit will start to accrue vacation hours again through December 31, 2020. Supervisors are encouraged to work with their staff to reduce vacation balances below the maximum limit by December 31, 2020.
- Catastrophic Leave Program: All employees, including those who are at vacation accrual maximum, may consider donating hours to the campus central catastrophic leave bank.
- New Paid Family Leave Benefit Available in July 1, 2021
Employee Notices & Action Items
- UCLA Requirements for COVID-19 Symptom Monitoring is required prior to reporting to campus for on-site work at any UCLA-owned or leased properties.
- COVID 19 – Returning to Work on Campus eCourse A 30-minute course available through UCLA’s Learning Management System (LMS) includes preparation required to return to campus; UCLA-specific guidelines, shared responsibilities; and basic knowledge needed to limit the spread of COVID-19. Complete the course before returning to work on-campus or no later than December 31, 2020.
- 2020-21 UC Influenza Vaccination Order requires all members of the UC community to receive an influenza immunization by November 1, 2020.
The table below is provided by UCLA’s Campus Human Resources Benefits Services. Please direct questions to CHR Benefits at (310) 794-0830 or your medical plan regarding out-of-pocket expenses, receipt requirements, and the reimbursement process as applicable.
UC Health Plan Coverage for Flu Shot
|UC Medical Plan
|$0 Flu Vaccinations
|Pay Out-of-Pocket and Submit Claim for Reimbursement
|Out-of-network provider office (out-of-network benefits apply)
|Non-KP facilities or pharmacies
|Medicare providers who are not willing to bill UHC
*Health Net is actively reprogramming their pharmacy systems to allow for $0 cost flu vaccines without the need to pay out-of-pocket and submit a reimbursement. Effective date of this new process is TBD.
The main campus portal UCLA COVID-19 Resources contains guidance and updates for the Bruin community, the media and the broader public about UCLA’s ongoing response to the coronavirus pandemic. See “Information for Staff.”
Should you have any questions or need assistance with any of the items above, please contact Human Resource Manager, Grace Yi.
Senior Director, Office of Business & Financial Services
Senior Director, Office of Research Data Management